PREPARING lunch can be tedious especially for working moms or parents. But if you have stocks of canned tuna or chicken, vegetables and healthy flavorings in your kitchen, you can make and prepare easily healthy lunch for the family.
Here are some ways to make a healthy, well-balanced lunch:
* Put a healthy spin on the traditional sandwich: Use two pieces of thin sandwich bread, two ounces reduced-sodium lean chicken, hummus, spinach, bell pepper and mustard. Add some carrot sticks and light ranch dressing on the side.
* Mix together some cooked quinoa, white beans, chopped bell pepper, carrots and broccoli to make a grain salad. Toss with some olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Add a nectarine or some grapes on the side and a small handful of dry roasted almonds, if desired.
* Make a tuna salad with canned tuna, light mayo, diced celery, lemon juice and freshly ground pepper. Serve it over greens with an apple and peanut butter on the side.
* Fill a whole wheat tortilla wrap with rotisserie chicken, hummus, sundried tomatoes, feta cheese and greens. Add a side of fruit if it fits with your plan.
* Try a hard-boiled egg with a piece of fruit, string cheese and five whole wheat crackers. You could also add some carrots, celery sticks and peanut butter.
* Throw together a salad with romaine lettuce or spinach and any other non-starchy vegetables that you like. Top with some cottage cheese, chopped nuts and a tablespoon of light dressing.
These cooking tips are ideal for people watching their sugar intake and those with diabetes.