4,699 guests

ADMU mentor’s ‘killer’ identified

  • Written by Arlene Rivera
  • Published in Metro
  • Read: 300

THE Special Investigation Task Group (SITG) formed by the Eastern Police District (EPD) has identified the suspect, who killed the Ateneo de Manila High School teacher in Marikina City last year allegedly mistaken for their target.

Marikina police chief Senior Supt. Lorenzo Holanday Jr., head of the SITG, said the suspect, believed to a member of a gun-for-hire syndicate, was seen by a witness, who said he saw how Emmanuel Jose Pavia, 25, Math high school teacher, of 4 Claver St., Ateneo Housing, Bgy. Barangka, was shot, but refused to divulge his (suspect) name pending follow-up operation.
Chief Insp. Eduardo Cayetano, chief of the Station Investigation Unit of Marikina City Police, said they already filed murder charges against the suspect before the Marikina City Prosecutor’s Office.
EPD director Senior Supt. Romulo Sapitula formed the SITG, composed of Marikina police, Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG) and National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) days after the killing to investigate the circumstances behind the death of Pavia.
Cayetano said that based on the result of an investigation, Pavia died from a gunshot wound in the head after he was shot by the suspect, who allegedly mistook him as his target.
“Base du’n sa imbestigasyon lumalabas na ’yung three possible motives sa killing -- ’yung work-related, crime of passion and drugs -- ay wala na dahil luma-labas na malinis lahat ang record ng biktima, kaya na-established talaga sa investigation na mistakenly targeted ’yung teacher,” Cayetano told reporters.
Witness “Joseph Sision,” 37, fish ball vendor, said he saw the incident and presented to him a rogue gallery of gun-for-hire suspects whose description matches the killer of Pavia.
“Gumawa kami ng cartographic sketch at kinumpara ’yung nakuhang footages of a closed-circuit TV camera at ’yun  nagmatch ’yung description,” police added.
Police said Pavia was shot before he reached his house in Bgy. Barangka in July 2016. The suspect waited for the victim before he shot him at close range. He was declared dead on arrival at Amang Rodriguez Memorial Center.