6,173 guests

AFP hunting Maute remnants in Marawi

  • Written by Efren Montano
  • Published in Nation
  • Read: 541

THE military is flushing out the last 60 Maute Group members still in Marawi City.

Meanwhile Malacañang yesterday advised displaced Marawi residents to stay away from their hometown as the firefight in the city continues.

The military said that in the past 48 hours they have cleared 60 more buildings that had been used as strongholds by the terrorists.

Based on information on the ground, the military said Abdullah, one of the Maute brothers, is still leading the Islamic State-linked terrorists.

Marawi City remains on lockdown as clashes between state troops and terrorists continue, the military said.

Authorities said they can not soften security measures yet because their main concern is the safety of innocent civilians.
    
Earlier, President Rodrigo Duterte said the conflict in Marawi may be over in 10 to 15 days..
    
Presidential Spokesperson Ernesto Abella said the government wants to ensure that civilians are safe while state troops continue to hunt down the remaining terrorists occupying Marawi.
    
“There is no assurance that areas outside the main battle zone are already safe to reside and live in, as incidents of cases of stray bullet victims have been reported,” he added.
    
Abella said the military is still clearing the entire city of boobytraps and improvised explosive devices planted by the Maute terrorists.
    
“The danger and risks these pose still remain high. For the safety of everyone, it is better to just wait for the end of hostilities and the completion of clearing operations,” said Abella.
    
As of July 9, the death toll in the Marawi crisis has already breached 500 with at least 379 terrorists, 89 soldiers and 39 civilians killed.