PHILIPPINE National Police chief Director General Ronald ‘Bato’ M. de la Rosa on Wednesday afternoon met the wife of kidnapped 53-year-old South Korean businessman Jee Ick-Joo and assured her and Korean Embassy officials of all-out police action to find the victim and arrest and jail his abductors.
According to PNP spokesman, Senior Superintendent Dionardo B. Carlos, the PNP chief left a meeting with President Duterte in Malacañang just to meet the Korean woman and drove back to the Palace after their meeting. The official requested that the name of the Korean woman be withheld since “this is a (live) kidnapping case.”
‘’Gen. de la Rosa personally attended to the case and assured the wife and the Korean Embassy consul of the swift police action by the PNP Anti-Kidnapping Group and the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group to recover the victim and identify, locate and arrest the suspects,” Carlos said.
The PNP chief also directed PNP Anti-Illegal Drugs Group director Senior Supt. Albert Ignatius D. Ferro to account for a former AIDG personnel accused of involvement in the case. “The Chief wants the AIDG to ensure that the accused will be put under restrictive custody,” Carlos said.
During the meeting, Gen. de la Rosa also personally called Justice Secretary Vitaliano Aguirre II and requested a prosecutor who will handle the case. The call was made in the presence of the Korean woman and the Korean consul and other embassy staff.
The PNP chief also ordered a manhunt for the former AIDG operative tagged as one of the armed men who abducted the Korean businessman and official of a heavy industry firm in Angeles City last October 18.
He also asked the DoJ to assign a special prosecutor who will handle the case of the Korean who is yet to be located until this time. The former AIDG agent was reassigned with the Personnel Holding and Accounting Unit of the PNP Headquarters Support Service last November 21 but has failed to report for accounting since then.
The incident has been reported as a kidnapping-for-ransom case after the victim’s wife told the PNP-AKG that she had already paid P5 million as ransom that the abductors had demanded but the kidnappers reportedly asked for another P4.5 million.
Investigators from the PNP-AKG headed by Senior Supt. Glenn Dumlao have identified the suspects from security camera footages taken during the victim’s alleged kidnapping. Last Monday, Gen. de la Rosa said he asked the PNP-AKG to find the wife of the missing Korean so that he could personally update her on the case. Nearly three months after the victim was snatched, the top cop also expressed hope that he is still alive and remained under captivity by the suspects who abducted him.
The Korean is said to have been victimized by a gang of rogues in uniform and their accomplices who are taking advantage of the ongoing PNP anti-drug war to snatch rich targets and threaten them with drug charges if they won’t pay their monetary demand.
Journal Group sources said that after finding out that he is being investigated by the PNP-AKG in connection with the Korean’s abduction, the suspect surfaced at the PNP-AKG headquarters accompanied by his lawyer.
Without any solid ground to hold on to him, the PNP-AKG had no recourse but to release the accused. Gen. de la Rosa said the suspect had the rank of a ‘Senior Police Officer 3’ although some said he has a much lower rank.
A formal complaint has been filed against the police officer by the PNP-AKG before the DOJ. Gen. de la Rosa confirmed that the cop and another individual were accused of kidnapping the South Korean businessman in Angeles City last October 18 on the pretext they were conducting a drug raid.