PHILIPPINE National Police chief Director General Ricardo C. Marquez yesterday said he will tender his courtesy resignation to “President-elect” Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte to give him a free hand in choosing his head of the 160,000-strong police force.
“As a matter of courtesy, I will submit my courtesy resignation to him to give him a free hand in deciding on who will be the new leader of the PNP,” Marquez announced during a press conference at Camp Crame.
Retiring on August 28 this year or 59 days after Duterte is officially sworn into office, Gen. Marquez said he will ask the new police chief to continue to ‘unite the organization’ and ‘give it you best shot.’
However, he emphasized that he is willing to work with Duterte for a very short time as a ‘loyal soldier’ who has been in the military and police service for the past 38 years.
Marquez said he has not made any official or personal calls to Duterte or any of the other presidential candidates including his former boss, then Interior and Local Government Secretary-turned Liberal Party standard bearer Mar Roxas.
He also said none of the presidential candidates have called him to air any personal concern during the Election Day.
Marquez said his order for his men was simple and clear: “We guard the ballots and respect the decision of the people.”
He also welcomes different suggestions on how to curb down criminality in the country amid Duterte’s vow to stem criminality specifically illegal drugs in 3 to 6 months after he is elected president.
Marquez said the PNP is doing its best to stop criminality through its “One-Time, Big-Time” and “Oplan: Lambat-Sibat” operations, but still, they need the help of the community.
He said last year, they arrested over 12,000 drug personalities, and at the start of the year have already seized more than 400 kilograms of shabu worth P2 billion.
“My guidance to my men is to perform much better and arrest the flow of illegal drugs in the market,” Marquez said.