Home>News>BI launches manhunt vs Korean fugitive
News

BI launches manhunt vs Korean fugitive

Kang Juchun
Passport of South Korean fugitive Kang Juchun. (JERRY S. TAN)

A MANHUNT was launched by the Bureau of Immigration (BI) against a South Korean fugitive who had been reportedly missing since Sunday morning after escapingfrom the BI’s detention facility.

Identified as Kang Juchun, 38, said Korean managed to breach the BI facility’s perimeter by scaling a 20-foot fence with barbed wires at 2 a.m. and authorities believe he may have sustained injuries after falling.

Tansingco said the bureau has increased the height of the perimeter fence with barbed wires and added another watch tower to improve the facility’s security.

BI Commissioner Norman Tansingco said that Kang was initially apprehended last February 10 by immigration officers at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) Terminal 2 after arriving from Bangkok. He was found to have an Interpol red notice hit for murder charges and abandonment of a dead body for which he was charged and transferred to the BI’s facility in Taguig prior to deportation.

He was reported to have abused a blind spot in the facility’s CCTV where he climbed the fence and fell on the cemented road.

“The BI is working in close collaboration with local law enforcement agencies to locate and apprehend him swiftly,” said Tansingco. “Specialized teams have been deployed to various locations, following reliable leads to capture the fugitive,” said Tansingco.

“This is a serious breach of our facility’s security, and have initiated a thorough investigation to determine lapses that allowed this to occur as well as take necessary steps to prevent similar incidents in the future,” he added.

Both the Department of Justice and the Korean Embassy have also been informed of the incident.

Itchie G. Cabayan
DIRECT HIT entertains comments, suggestions or complaints. Please have them emailed to [email protected] or text 0917-3132168.