A FORMER congressman and his consumer advocacy group on Tuesday called for the urgent completion of Manila Electric Company’s (Meralco) ongoing power supply bidding to secure the country’s sustainable long-term energy situation.
This was stressed by former Alyansa ng mga Grupong Haligi ng Agham at Teknolohiya para sa Mamamayan (AGHAM) party-list Rep. Angelo B. Palmones, a veteran dzRH anchor, stressing the Philippines needs enough energy supply for national security in order to boost vital infrastructure.
Palmones, AGHAM President, advised disqualified bidders to stand down and allow the process to work, in order to grant the winning and deserving bids opportunity to enter the energy portfolio of the Philippines.
“It was reported in the news that Meralco announced last week only six of the nine bidders have qualified to take part in the bidding for the supply of 1,800 megawatts for 20 years. AGHAM’s concern is that the disqualified bidders will attempt to get in the way and interrupt the process moving forward, in which there is simply no more room or time, as the bidding process has already been pushed back previously,”Palmones said.
“We are raising concerns that the three disqualified bidders – Solar Philippines Central Luzon (which is bidding to supply 200 MW), Sta. Cruz Solar Energy of AC Energy (150 MW), and Kingstone Energy (1200 MW) – who did not pass the initial qualifying process, could delay the competitive selectionprocess (CSP). Thus, AGHAM firmly believes that those who did not comply with the guidelines and rules should be removed immediately and permanently so as to ensure a successful CSP, and contracts leading to lower rates for consumer welfare. All measures must be taken to ensure that there is no delay to the CSP. Government must protect the process since, so far, it already has a good track record of being above-board and compliant in all aspects,” the consumer advocacy group highlighted
“With the recent string of news floating the possibility that the disqualified power firms could potentially delay Meralco’s 1,800 MW supply deal, this is worrisome, most especially because our country and economy urgently need additional power supply in the coming years for development and infrastructure, given the thrust of administration to build and grow. There can no longer be any more delays in securing this much-need additional power supply,” said Palmones.
AGHAM maintained that “the failed bidders should accept that they did not qualify based on the clear, and existing rules and guidelines, and they should be socially respons.”