Home>News>Provincial>DSWD to provide Cash-for-Work to residents in 3 provinces affected by oil spill
Provincial

DSWD to provide Cash-for-Work to residents in 3 provinces affected by oil spill

DSWD Logo

The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD), in coordination with the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR), is set to provide Cash for Work (CFW) assistance to residents in three (3) provinces affected by the oil spill brought by the capsized motor tanker (MT) Princess Empress that submerged in Naujan, Oriental Mindoro last week.

The areas to be given temporary means of livelihood are: Bansud, Bongabong, Bulalacao, Gloria, Naujan, Pinamalayan, Pola and Roxas in Oriental Mindoro; Caluya, Antique; and Agutaya in Palawan.

According to DSWD Secretary Rex Gatchalian, aside from Oriental Mindoro, he received reports that the oil spill has now spread towards Antique and Palawan and that the residents in the area will need government aid.

“So, these two areas (Antique and Palawan), we are now working hard on making sure na may makakain iyong mga nakatira doon, whether its food packs or emergency cash transfers,” he said during an interview.

Aside from the CFW, the DSWD also plans to implement another program in the form of Emergency Cash Transfer (ECT) program to affected residents in Caluya, Antique and Agutaya, Palawan.

“Naging agreement namin ng DENR at noong local government nila, ng provincial government, at instruction din ng ating Pangulo is to make sure na yung mga locals natin mga fisher folk na affected ay maging bahagi ng solusyon” (We had an agreement with the DENR, the local government, the provincial government, and by the instructions of our President, we need to make sure that our locals, the fisher folks who are affected, will be part of the solution), the Secretary said.

The Secretary also stated that the CFW program will be launched this week and will last for about 15 days, depending on the consultation with the DENR on their identified menu of work for this program. The salary of the beneficiaries of the program will be based on the current regional daily minimum wage rate.

Meanwhile, as of March 7, 2023, the DSWD has already provided more than P3.1 million worth of food assistance to affected localities in Oriental Mindoro and Antique.

The DSWD will continue to coordinate with concerned agencies and localities to ensure that the needs of the residents affected by the oil spill will be sufficiently met.

Journal Online
A collection of noteworthy information on various topics from the Philippines and the rest of the world.
https://journal.com.ph