Eleazar says discipline drive will have no let-up

NATIONAL Capital Region Police Office director, Major General Guillermo Lorenzo T. Eleazar has assured Metro Manila residents their Discipline Drive will continue to be strictly enforced as the number of apprehensions made under the program has proven to be a major factor in keeping peace and order in the metropolis since June 13 last year.

In fact, NCRPO records showed that from January 13 up to yesterday, the number of violators of the Metro Manila police’s Oplan: Disiplina has already reached more than 1.050 million.

Philippine National Police chief, Director General Oscar D. Albayalde, himself a former NCRPO director has ordered Eleazar and the 16 other police regional directors to strictly enforce existing city and municipal ordinances in their territories and help arrest would-be trouble in the streets.

Eleazar said their strict enforcement of all city and municipal ordinances, specifically the curfew for minors and the ban on drinking in public, has kept trouble away from the streets of Metro Manila since last June and they will be continue to implement it as part of their anti-criminality programs.

From June 13, 2018 up to yesterday, the NCRPO director said  more than 1,051,000 violators have been apprehended. Of the total number, nearly 49,000 or around 5 percent of the overall figure were apprehended for drinking in public places while more than 64,000  or around 6.11 percent of the overall figure were minors who were found violating the curfew ordinance.

Eleazar said the apprehension of more than 64,000 minors for violating the curfew ordinance  arrested the possibility they would figure in street crimes including gang wars, rumbles, stoning incidents and both major and petty crimes involving teenage gangs and fraternities.

Over 243,000 or more than 23 percent were accosted for defying the no-smoking rule in the metropolis; nearly 55,000 or 5.29 percent were apprehended for going half-naked in public while roughly 640,000  or about 61 60 percent were accosted for violating other city and municipal ordinances.

Eleazar said nearly 698,000 or roughly 66.5  percent of the violators were released after being warned that a repeat offense would cause them trouble with the law while some 199,500 or about 19 percent were issued fines which went to the coffers of concerned local government units.

Over 153,000 others or 14.60 percent of the total were charged in court for violation of ordinances like drinking in public.

Eleazar said the Quezon City Police District headed by Brigadier General Joselito T. Esquivel Jr. accounted for the biggest apprehension with around 588,000 or   56 percent of the total followed by the Eastern Police District under Brig. Gen. Christopher E. Tambungan with more than 215,000  or over 20 percent of the total.

The Northern Police District headed by Brig. Gen. Rolando B. Anduyan apprehended over 102,000  or 9.78  percent of the total followed by the Manila Police District under Brig. Gen. Vicente D. Danao Jr. with over 85,000 or 8.14 percent of the total.

The Southern Police District headed by Brig. Gen. Eliseo DC Cruz....
apprehended nearly 60,000 or 5.65 percent of the total figure during the period in review.

Eleazar said of the over 153,000 persons charged in court, more than 85,000  were apprehended by the QCPD followed by MPD with over 65,000, SPD with more than 2,000; EPD with 55; and NPD with 4.

The NCRPO chief told the Journal Group that on orders of General Albayalde, their discipline drive program this year will be strictly implemented by his men amid growing public support for the project.

“Despite some previous public criticisms, we are continuing the implementation of Gen. Albayalde’s directive for us to  go after both violators of national laws and city/municipal ordinances,” he said.