WITH its decision to flood the public markets in Metropolitan Manila and four adjacent provinces with farm products, the government showed its determination to meet the food needs of people placed under Enhanced Community Quarantine (ECQ).
Due to the alarming spike in the number of COVID-19 cases in the country, MM and the provinces of Bulacan, Rizal, Laguna and Cavite are now under the strictest quarantine status.
But Agriculture Secretary William H. Dar was quick to assure the people, particularly those in ECQ areas and other urban centers, that there’s enough food supply in the country.
Yesterday, people across the globe, especially members of the Roman Catholic Church, including Filipinos, marked Palm Sunday, the first day of the Holy Week in the Christian calendar
“With the declaration of MM and four adjacent provinces…under ECQ from March 29 to April 4 (Holy Week), we assure fellow citizens that there is enough food for everyone,” said Dar.
Dar had earlier ordered regional directors of DA and Bureau of Fishery and Aquatic Resources to sustain the delivery of basic food commodities to MM and major urban consumption centers.
This is of course in partnership with local government units (LGUs) through the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) and the Philippine National Police (PNP).
The DA is also set to dispatch “Kadiwa on Wheels” that will bring surplus products from Luzon, the Visayas and Mindanao to Kadiwa outlets and major public markets in MM.
Dar said that last year, Luzon went through a similar situation when it was placed under ECQ. “We see no reason why we cannot do the same or even perform better,” he added.
In the view of many, what is needed is mutual understanding, smooth coordination and sustained partnership among all agri-fishery stakeholders and government authorities.
Oo nga naman!