PNP launches final push vs

September 19, 2019

CPP/NPA rebels.

ON orders of Philippine National Police chief, General Oscar D. Albayalde, all police forces nationwide are stepping-up their campaign against New People’s Army insurgents, going all-out to capture their wanted leaders and other partisans while embarking on a massive drive to convince majority of them to finally surrender and leave their mountain hideouts in order to live a normal life.

“This is in compliance to President Duterte’s order. The final push to end local communist armed conflict will be firm and decisive under the guidance and direction of the national leadership,” said PNP spokesman, Brigadier General Bernard M. Banac.

The PNP spokesperson added that “the PNP is honored to play a crucial role in this national undertaking to finally deliver the blessings of sustainable peace, stability and progress to all communities.”

He referred to the Commander-in-Chief’s directive for an all-out war against the armed wing of the Communist Party of the Philippines founded by self-exiled rebel leader Jose Ma. Sison.

“Police operations against the armed components of the communist terrorist movement will be swift and relentless just as it will be lawful and judicious. Every Filipino deserves to live a comfortable life, free from threats of terrorism, violence and oppression,” Banac said.

Gen. Albayalde said they are helping the Armed Forces seek the return of Sison in the country and is inclined to believe that The Netherlands will give more weight to their contention that Sison should be arrested and returned to the country since he is facing multiple murder charges here.

“The Philippine National Police, thru the Philippine Center on Transnational Crime (PCTC), is making representations with the International Criminal Police Organization (INTERPOL) for the issuance of a Red Notice for the arrest of Jose Maria Sison to face trial in the Philippines for the crime of murder,” the PNP chief said.

Gen. Albayalde said the Department of Foreign Affairs also backs the government effort to prompt the Dutch government to remove the asylum status it has given to Sison since the status can always be revoked especially if the personalities involved are wanted for involvement in heinous crimes in their own country.

Sison and 32 others are the subjects of a warrant of arrest for 15 counts of murder issued last August 29 by Judge Thelma Bunyi-Medina of the Manila Regional Trial Court Branch 32. No bail was recommended for the temporary liberty of the accused.

Sison et al were ordered arrested in connection with the 2006 discovery of a mass grave in Inopacan, Leyte. Soldiers and policemen acting on a tip from ex-NPA rebels found the mass grave in Leyte and exhumed the skeletal remains of dozens of NPA guerrillas who were reportedly summarily executed by their comrades during a massive NPA purging in the 1980s.

The PNP Intelligence Group headed by Brigadier General Edgar S. Monsalve has been ordered by Gen. Albayalde to further intensify their effort to account for most wanted NPA personalities in the country and convince more of their members yield.

“This is part of our effort to support the National Task Force to End Local Communist Armed Conflict headed by President Duterte himself,” said Monsalve as he ordered all PNP-IG units to double their effort to arrest all NPA personalities covered with warrants of arrest specifically their top leaders and negotiate the surrender.

Last week, the PNP-IG announced the capture of an NPA rebel wanted for rebellion and the surrender of three others following negotiations with Regional Intelligence Units.

Monsalve said Jaime Magracia, a former member of the NPA’s Sandatahang Propaganda Yunit operating in Gloria, Oriental Mindoro who has a warrant of arrest for rebellion was arrested in Barangay Balete in Gloria municipality last week.