THE Philippine National Police yesterday reminded all licensed gunholders issued with Permit-to-Carry-Firearms-Outside-of-Residence or PTCFORs in Metro Manila, Central Luzon and Calabarzon regions and La Union province that their gun permits will be suspended starting today until December 14 in Metro Manila as part of the massive security preparations for the 30th SEA Games to be hosted by the country.
The suspension means that persons with valid PTCFORs in the three regions and one province won’t be able to carry their licensed guns during the next 24-days, explained PNP Officer-in-Charge, Lieutenant General Archie Francisco F. Gamboa.
National Capital Region Police Office 4-A director, Brigadier General Debold M. Sinas, Police Regional Office 3 director, Brig. Gen. Rhodel O. Sermonia and Police Regional Office 4-A director, Brig. Gen. Vicente D. Danao Jr. recommended the suspension of all PTCFORs in the three regions for the duration of the 30th SEA Games.
PRO1 director, Brig. Gen. Joel S. Orduña also recommended the same in the entire La Union province which will also be the venue of some SEA Games events.
During the SEA Games, only members of the PNP, the Armed Forces and other Law Enforcement Agencies who are performing official duties and in Agency-prescribed uniforms and participants to the 30th SEA Games 2019 shooting competition shall be allowed to carry firearms.
“This is part of the security preparations to ensure that the activities will be free from firearm-related incidents and to ensure the safety of the populace as well as of the local and foreign athletes,” said Gen. Gamboa.
The PNP-OIC said the directive shall be implemented in consonance with the concept of Managing Police Operations in close coordination with the AFP, other LEAs and local government units.
Gen. Gamboa also ordered concerned police commanders to make an assessment on the impact of the suspension of PTCFORs in their areas in relation to the maintenance of peace and order situation in their areas of responsibilities.
The PNP-OIC said a total of 20,000 personnel from different government agencies will be fielded to provide security and safety services to over 10,000 athletes from different Southeast Asian countries set to participate in the 2019 SEA Games.
The athletes and their coaching staff and other sports officials from Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Thailand, Timor Leste, Singapore, Vietnam and host-Philippines will participate in 56 sporting events.
“Ahead of the 30th Southeast Asian Games, we are putting our best foot forward for the regional sporting event among our ASEAN neighbors. We have started preparations since last year. We continue to rehearse and fine-tune all our systems and procedures for this even, such that we have established full back-up system that will address any unforeseen situation that may arise,” said Gen. Gamboa in a press conference at Camp Crame.
Brig. Gen. Sinas said that they will be on full alert starting November 25 with some 8,000 NCRPO personnel to help secure the SEA Games’ venues in Metro Manila. The opening ceremony of the SEA Games will be held at the Philippine Arena in Bulacan on November 30.
The Rizal Memorial Sports Complex, Athletics Stadium and Aquatic Center in New Clark City as well as the Manila Polo Club are among the venues which will be used for various sports events until December 11.