‘Solicitation scammers’

February 16, 2019

GOVERNMENT officials, business establishment owners and other businessmen ought to welcome Malacañang’s warning on people soliciting political campaign funds in behalf of President Duterte.

Presidential Spokesman Salvador Panelo said the Office of the President (OP) had earlier received reports that Duterte’s name has been used or dropped to solicit or accept campaign contributions.

For everyone’s information, he said, the President has not authorized anyone in either the private or public sector, including the Bureau of Customs (BoC), to resort to such illegal undertakings.

In past Philippine elections, national and local, the bulk of the campaign funds of some influential and powerful candidates and political parties came from the “snake-infested waterfront.”

“Noon nga ay madalas magka-migraine ang mga taga-BoC tuwing may halalan dahil ang tingin ng ilang kandidato sa Aduana ay isang malawak na minahang-bayan,” recalled a Customs old-timer.

This time, however, these “solicitation scammers” may find it hard to intimidate waterfront stakeholders, with Commissioner Rey “Jagger” Guerrero at the helm of BoC and Malacanang’s warning.

A lawyer, Panelo said the Filipino people “by now should know that such a practice goes against the very principle which this (Duterte) administration protects and advocates.”

“Any person, regardless if one works in the government as an official or employee, who is or has been made the subject of solicitation using the name of the President… should report immediately such fraud to the National Bureau of Investigation or to other law enforcement agencies,” he said.

We agree with the highly-articulate presidential spokesman that this solicitation of election campaign funds in behalf of the Chief Executive from Davao City “is another money-making scheme.”

Talagang hindi nauubusan ng gimik para lang magka-pera ang ilan nating kababayan tuwing panahon ng eleksyon sa bansa.