Home>News>Filipinos repatriated from Turkiye arrive at NAIA
News

Filipinos repatriated from Turkiye arrive at NAIA

Filipinos repatriated from Turkiye
(Standing, left) OWWA personnel Maria Regina Angela Galias and Ar-Jay Manuel Sanchez meet and assist the Filipinos repatriated from Turkiye after surviving the earthquake there. (JERRY S. TAN)

ABOUT of 25 Filipinos, at least 12 of whom are children, arrived at the NAIA Terminal 3 on Monday afternoon from earthquake-stricken Turkiye.

The said individuals comprised the first batch of Filipinos who were repatriated from Turkiye by the Philippine government.

They were met and assisted upon arrival at the NAIA by representatives from the Department of Foreign Affairs and the Overseas Workers’ Welfare Administration (OWWA) personnel Maria Regina Angela Galias and Ar-Jay Manuel Sanchez.

Belonging to about nine separate families, the Filipino repatriates brought home harrowing details of their brush with death in what was branded as the worst quake that hit that country.

The children were accompanied by their respective mothers and their ages ranged from babies to teenagers.

An elderly woman who arrived on a wheelchair said her house was worst hit among the repatriates.

Christine Mon, 33, said she had been in Turkey for the past five years and was inside their home with her two young kids aged three and five when the quake struck at 4:30 a.m.

She recounted that it was pitch-black since power immediately went out, while they got rained on in the middle of winter. According to her, she decided to take her children away for a while, saying they have been traumatized and continue to be afraid.

President Ferdinand Marcos, Jr. said the Philippine embassy is working tirelessly to verify and consolidate information on Filipinos affected by the quake and to provide needed assistance.

Itchie G. Cabayan
DIRECT HIT entertains comments, suggestions or complaints. Please have them emailed to [email protected] or text 0917-3132168.