1 whole chicken
1Tbsp sea salt
1 Tbsp ground pepper
10 garlic cloves, crushed
1 fresh rosemary sprig, stem removed
3 Ttbsp olive oil
4 fresh rosemary sprigs
10 pcs calamansi, halved and seeded
2 carrots, cut into eighths
For the cauliflower mash:
1 kg cauliflower heads, cut into florets
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 Tbsp buttermilk powder + ½ cup water
4 Tbps organic buttery spread
½ cup organic cheddar cheese, grated
½ tsp nutmeg
Sea salt and white pepper to taste
Chopped fresh chives
* Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C)
* Rub the chicken generously with sea salt, pepper, garlic, one rosemary sprig and olive oil.
* Cut calamansi in half and squeeze them lightly all over the chicken.
* Stuff the squeezed calamansi, garlic and remaining rosemary sprigs inside chicken cavity.
* Cut the wing tips and truss the chicken with twine, holding the wings down and legs together.
* Place the chicken in the center of a baking dish.
* Brush the carrots with olive oil and sprinkle with rosemary, salt and pepper. Arrange around the chicken on the baking dish.
* Roast for one hour, or until chicken is cooked through, brushing the chicken with its own drippings every 20 minutes.
* While the chicken is roasting, steam cauliflower florets and garlic until overcooked, around 12-15 minutes.
* Place the cooked cauliflower and garlic in a food processor. Add buttermilk mixture, butter, cheddar, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Process until smooth and creamy. Note: If you find it too watery, heat the mash in a pan for a few minutes to reduce the liquid. Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with chives.
* Transfer mashed cauliflower to serving bowl and garnish with chives.
* To make gravy, pour chicken drippings to a small pot and skim the fat. Cook on low heat for two minutes with tsp of cornstarch until slightly thickened.