- 4 onions, sliced
- 1/2 tsp butter
- A little olive oil or canola spray
- 3 Tbsp white wine
- A sprig or two of fresh or dry thyme
- 4 cups chicken stock, large
- Salt and pepper
- A piece of whole wheat toast baked in oven with grated gouda cheese till it browns slightly.
- 1 tsp garlic paste, finely chopped
- Grease with butter and olive your heavy bottom pan.
- Add onions and garlic and cook them on a slow flame until they caramelize about 20 minutes.
- Add the wine. Then add the stock add let it simmer.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Put wholewheat bread in toaster and toast. Add grated cheese and let it melt till slightly brown in oven.
- Add soup to bowl with a good amount of onions. Top with toast and serve.