2 Tbsp Soy Sauce
1 1/2 Tbsp brown rice vinegar
1 stalk scallion(s)
1 Tbsp Ginger Root
1 Tbsp applesauce unsweetened
2 tsp Toasted Sesame Oil
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
14 oz Organic Tofu Extra Firm
1 tsp sesame seeds
2 Tbsp Cilantro
* Drain and squeeze excess liquid from the tofu.
* Whisk together the soy sauce, vinegar, scallion, ginger, apple-apricot sauce, sesame oil, and hot pepper flakes in a small bowl. (Makes 1/2 cup.) Pour into a 9- by 13-inch pan or similar-sized dish.
* Cut the tofu lengthwise into 9 slices; then, cut each slice in half lengthwise or crosswise, creating 18 pieces. Place the tofu slices in a single layer in the soy sauce mixture and marinate about 10 to 15 minutes per side.
* Preheat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Transfer each tofu slice to the pan using tongs, reserving the marinade. Grill (in batches) until deep grill marks form on both sides, about 3 1/2 to 4 minutes per side.
* Insert reusable or bamboo skewers (patpat) into the cooked tofu, sprinkle with the sesame seeds and cilantro leaves, and serve while warm with the remaining marinade on the side.
* (WITH POULTRY, FISH, OR MEAT) one serving: Use about 12 oz (instead of 14 oz) tofu cut into 15 pieces in step 2. Transfer 1 tbsp + 1 tsp the marinade to a small dish. Add 3 (3/4-oz) pieces of boneless, skinless chicken thigh to the small dish and marinate for about 10-15 minutes per side. Grill until well done after the tofu in step 3. Do not reuse any remaining marinade from the uncooked chicken.