MANY are not aware that certain foods they eat could harm their liver. Detox at least once in a while to help remove toxins.
But how would one know that his liver needs cleansing. Just like our body, it needs to rest, the same way with liver especially when you’re feeding it with too many toxins from unhealthy foods.
Before you do the cleansing (which may not be necessary if your liver health is good), you need to know the symptoms of damage (mild or getting severe) liver.
* Tummy growing. When your tummy gets bigger, that shows your liver is working overtime to remove the toxins. When this continues, you will soon feel pain in the upper abdominal area, under the lower ribs. The pain comes and goes.
* Exhausted or fatigued. When your liver is working overtime, you will experience fatigue or exhausted even when you’re not doing intense work or under the heat.
* Unusual bruising. This episode shows that your body produces fewer proteins. You need proteins for blood clotting, and if you don’t get them, you bruise easily.
* Digestive problems can happen when your liver is working overtime. Vomiting and nausea are among the first symptoms.
Before you do the cleansing, try to cut down your fast food diet. Eat more natural foods like vegetables, fish and fruits.
And as you go on “dieting”, take these foods together also to help your liver flush out toxins:
* Garlic. Garlic helps mainly by activating enzymes that flush out toxins. The white bulb also contains selenium and allicin, two compounds that improve liver health. Try to eat at least one clove per week.
* Cruciferous and green leafy vegetables. Broccoli and cauliflower are the two best veggies from that group that you can consume. Both are rich in compounds that stimulate enzyme production in the liver. Without those enzymes, the liver may have trouble flushing out toxins. Leafy greens also help by neutralizing heavy metals, pesticides, and chemicals. Spinach, mustard greens, and arugula are among the best at doing that.
* Grapefruit. Any fruit that is high in vitamin C is great for a liver cleanse. Grapefruit may be expensive but you may try lemons, calamasi or dalanghita. If you make juice from any these fruits, that would hasten the cleansing process of your liver. The best way to stimulate your liver is by drinking a glass of water with a squeezed lemon in it. Your system will flush out toxins through your urine.
* Beets. Beets are known to help lower blood pressure. If you have liver problems your BP numbers could probably be high.
Beets are rich in flavonoids and beta-carotene, two compounds that improve the health of your liver.
* Cabbage. Cabbage stimulates even more enzymes that help with liver cleansing and flushing out toxins. Try to make cabbage soup.
* Apples. Aside from vitamin C content, apples contain pectin, a chemical compound that helps the body cleanse and flush out toxins.
* Green tea. Green tea is rich in catechins, compounds that help normal liver function.
* Turmeric. Turmeric is one of the best spices for detoxing, helping by flushing out dietary carcinogens. You can add turmeric to lentil soup, stew, or any veggie dish.