SUMMER is here and beach party is the next sure thing to happen. But you want to maintain the glow of your skin without doing damage.
Get your skin ready and equip yourself with some protective “tools”.
* Sunburn. In case you get sunburn and swelling, an aspirin or ibuprofen will help you reduce pain and swelling. Next, do a milk compress by soaking a washcloth in a bowl of ice-cold whole milk. Do not use skim milk. Then drape it over the burn until the cloth loses the cold temperature. Sooner you will feel relief.
* Ward off insects. Mosquitoes are now 24/7 and they will bite you any time. If you’re planning a trip, (there’s no more mosquito-free area now), and you know you always seem to attract the little buggers, start taking a daily vitamin B12 supplement. Studies show that it causes your skin to give off a scent that repels mosquitoes.
* Fight body acne in the laundry. Fabric softeners and dryer sheets leave a coating on clothing that, when combined with perspiration and friction, can cause pimples. So skip them if you’re prone to breakouts.
* Eliminate bikini bumps. Sweat, tight clothing trap dirt and debris in pores, setting off those icky red bumps. A dab of baby powder will absorb sweat during the day; at night, curb bacteria with a salicylic-acid treatment.
* Quit breaking out from sunscreen. For acne-prone skin, try a mineral sunscreen. The active ingredient listed will be zinc oxide, titanium dioxide, or both. These sit on top of the skin rather than being absorbed, so you’re less likely to react. If you have dark skin, avoid a mineral formula and go with a sunscreen that says oil-free and non-comedogenic on the label, such as Coppertone Oil Free Faces Sunscreen Lotion SPF 50.