PRICES of flower bouquets, stuffed toys and even chocolates are now twice the regular value as February 14 nears. Restaurants (including motels) and hotels are probably fully booked by now.
“Sweet somethings” and whispering “sweet nothings” are really part of Valentine’s Day celebration and a bouquet of red roses and a box of chocolates would really complete your date.
What if you’re financially constrainted now, would you still buy her flowers, or chocolates or a large teddy bear?
If both of you are really in love with each other, there are plenty of ways to express your feelings without spending too much.
Here are ideas to try:
* Do some chores in his/her condo. Not only do you get to sit right down and enjoy quality time with your partner, you won’t have to worry about chores for the rest of the weekend.
* Do some groceries. If a romantic dinner is more your style, do some groceries. Buy an inexpensive bottle of wine and prepare a great meal for two.
* Go to the park. Take a picnic, pack a basket or bag with some cheese, crackers, and wine, and head off to your favorite park. Or you can always head to a scenic overlook and enjoy a parked picnic in the car.
* Be creative. Forego buying stuffed bears. Bring out your creativity with greeting cards or a tickler which are cheaper than stuffed bears. Gather all his/her love notes in the past and place it on the card or tickler and add romantic replies, caption or comments. In this way, you two can share your laughter and sweet “somethings and nothings” as you read the notes.
* Yard date. If you’re set on having a date night out, make it a budget-friendly one. Rearrange and decorate your backyard instead of going to fancy restaurants. Cook your meal, or prepare a pile of sandwiches with potato chips and red wine and watch your favorite movie on your tablet or smartphone.
Expressing “I love you” does not have to be expensive and breaking your bank. But it doesn’t mean your love is cheap. Anyway, it’s the thought that counts, right? Your sweetheart will know how much you care.