MANILA, PHILIPPINES, December 2020 — The year has been full of highs and lows, and Filipinos undoubtedly spent more time online to find comfort in their favorite content as they kept themselves safe at home. YouTube unveils the local lists of trending videos, music videos, and creators that captured the attention of netizens this 2020.
Taking majority of the spots on the list are original prank videos and challenges from well-loved local creators. In the number one place is the performance video of Pilipinas Got Talent 2011 champion Marcelito Pomoy as he wowed the world in America’s Got Talent with a powerful rendition of Celine Dion and Andrea Bocelli’s “The Prayer”.
Here are the top ten trending videos that entertained Filipinos in 2020:
- WOW! Marcelito Pomoy Sings “The Prayer” With DUAL VOICES! – America’s Got Talent: The Champions
- IVANA ALAWI, NAPAIYAK NI IDOL RAFFY. ITO ANG PRANK NA PARANG TOTOO!
- Iguana meets Ivana by Alex Gonzaga
- BOYFRIEND PRANK! | IVANA ALAWI
- ASK MOTHER KWEEN (ANONG MANGYAYARE SA YOUTUBE NI LLOYD?)
- KAILANGAN NIYO NA RIN MALAMAN
- “NIANA PRANK” KAY CHOLO (KINILIG SIYA IH HAHA)
- THE JUNNIEBOY PROPOSAL
- IGNORING SANYA PRANK | GOLD PLAY BUTTON UNBOXING
- LAST TO LEAVE THE POOL WINS $10,000 (500,000PHP) w/ DOLAINAB | ZEINAB HARAKE
Pinoy hip-hop scene enjoys its momentum this year as local rappers and groups released their original tracks, taking six out of 10 spots on the list. As BLACKPINK released their first full studio album this year, Filipino Blinks showed their support by streaming their music videos, landing them three spots on the chart. K-pop king BTS also solidifies their popularity in the country as the group clinches a place on the list.
This year’s top showstoppers for music videos are:
- Araw araw Love – Flow G
- BLACKPINK – ‘How You Like That’ M/V
- BLACKPINK – ‘Ice Cream (with Selena Gomez)’ M/V
- BTS (방탄소년단) ‘Dynamite’ Official MV
- SULYAP – Jr.Crown, Thome & Chris Line (Official Lyric Video) [Prod.By J-Lhutz]
- Miloves (OTW SAYO) – King Badger
- BLACKPINK – ‘How You Like That’ DANCE PERFORMANCE VIDEO
- TINOTOYO – Jr.Crown & Thome ft. Bomb D (Official Audio)
- EMMAN – Teka Lang (Official Lyric Video)
- Ex Battalion – Bounty (Makukuha rin kita)
This year’s list of top and breakout creators saw fan-favorite personalities and comedians like Ivana Alawi, Alex Gonzaga, Cong TV, Viy Cortez, and Donnalyn Bartolome. There was also an emergence of creators from the gaming community like ChoOx TV, and celebrities who turned to vlogging like Kathryn Bernardo.
This year’s top creators are:
- Ivana Alawi
- Zeinab Harake
- Cong TV
- Ja Mill
- Alex Gonzaga Official
- ChoOx TV
- Jelai Andres
- Viy Cortez
- Donnalyn Bartolome
- Jomar Lovena
Meanwhile, this year’s breakout creators are:
- Cong TV
- Viy Cortez
- Jomar Lovena
- Junnie Boy
- Kathryn Bernardo
- Boss Keng
- Leti Sha
- Donekla in Tandem
Mervin Wenke, Communications and Public Affairs Head of Google Philippines said, “Filipinos use YouTube to tell and listen to stories, providing some form of comfort in this extremely challenging year. It is inspiring to see how the creators continued to show wayfinding to support one another as a community and to keep their viewers engaged despite the odds. The heart of YouTube is its creators and we recognize their important role in providing not just relevant content but even hope to Filipinos in the time of what turned out to be a difficult 2020.”
Launched in May 2005, YouTube allows billions of people to discover, watch, and share originally-created videos. YouTube provides a forum for people to connect, inform, and inspire others across the globe and acts as a distribution platform for original content creators and advertisers large and small. YouTube is a Google company.