TWO of 11 employees of a cooking oil factory in Caloocan City who were reportedly in critical condition after inhaling toxic fumes from a sewer Sunday morning are now in stable condition at the East Avenue Medical Center.
Caloocan City police chief P/Col. Noel Flores said Limwell Ibe, 31, and Bobby Benitez, 24, both working as waste and water treatment plant operators, were still confined at the hospital while waiting for the results from the toxicologist who examined the effects of certain chemicals or fumes in their bodies while nine others were immediately released after undergoing medical examination.
The victims were cleaning the fat and grease trap of the Trans Asia Phils Manufacturing Industries Corp. located at 5 Golden Road, Gen. Luis St. Caloocan Industrial Subdivision, Caybiga, Bgy. 166 when they lost consciousness due to the foul odor emanating from the sewer at around 9:15 a.m.
The victims were immediately rushed to East Avenue Medical Center, along with nine other employees who suffered dizziness and difficulty of breathing when they also inhaled the fumes.
Management of Trans Asia denied the earlier pronouncement of the Caloocan City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office (CCDRRMO) that the two employees fainted after inhaling hydrogen sulfate while cleaning the grease trap.
Plant manager Rodel Gomez said there is no chemical or gas leak and clarified that Benitez and Ibe lost consciousness due to the stench inside the grease trap.