2,500 NCR cops ready for Taal

January 14, 2020

NATIONAL Capital Region Police Office director, Brigadier General Debold M. Sinas, yesterday said that some 2,500 well-equipped members of the Metro Manila police are now ready for deployment to Calabarzon region to beef-up local police forces tasked to support ongoing rescue-and-relief operations in areas affected by the Taal Volcano eruption.

“At the regional headquarters alone, we have alerted 2,500 people that includes mobile force company. Pina-alert din natin yung mga mobile district nila in case mas kailangan pa ‘yung forces. All stations are full alert only in case na kailangan,” the official told the Journal Group.

He added that although the rest of the NCRPO force remain in their respective posts and are securing Metro Manila and ensuring that criminals will be on the run, some of them may also be deployed to Calabarzon regon if necessary.

“Sa ngayon, ang usapan namin sa buong NCRPO, ang first na magrespond is ‘yung regional headquarters in Camp Bagong Diwa muna before we touch the districts para hindi ma-touch ‘yung anti-criminality campaign and crime prevention functions namin sa NCRPO,” he explained.

On orders of Philippine National Police Officer-in-Charge, Lieutenant Gen. Archie Francisco F. Gamboa, the NCRPO already has deployed some 100 of its officers and men to Batangas province to help in ongoing relief efforts.

Sinas also sent eight NCRPO vehicles and two ambulances in the province to help transport the evacuees and the sick. According to the official, his men so far have rescued 1,696 evacuees from the Batangas municipalities of Talisay and Laurel as well as in Tanauan City.

The Metro Manila police director added that they will also deploy health service personnel in the affected areas to care for affected residents and local policemen and other rescuers.

However, he said that more transport vehicles are needed in the province to help evacuate local residents to much safer places.

Since last Sunday, a total of 30,423 individuals or 6,891 families from the provinces of Cavite and Batangas were affected by the eruption of Taal Volcano. Out of the total number, 18,187 persons belonging to 4,175 families are currently being housed in government-run evacuation centers.

Gen. Gamboa on Sunday placed all PNP forces in Luzon under full alert as Taal Volcano spewed ash and small rocks triggering the evacuation of thousands of residents in nearby areas and prompting the suspension of classes and government work in Metro Manila.

The official likewise mobilized all available police personnel and resources to be ready for deployment in the area amid warnings that a hazardous explosive eruption is possible within hours or days.

The PNP raised its security alert status over Batangas, specifically, Taal volcano island and other high risk areas of Agoncillo and Laurel, Batangas and said it is ready to implement evacuation in coordination with local government officials due to possible hazards of pyroclastic density currents and volcanic tsunami, as warned by Phivolcs in its bulletin.

Police Regional Office 4-A director, Brigadier General Vicente D. Danao Jr. also directed his men to prohibit the entry of people into the island, and other high risk areas of Agoncillo and Laurel.

Gen. Gamboa directed the regional directors of Police Regional Offices 3, 4-A, 4-B, 5 and the National Capital Region Police Office to immediately activate their respective Disaster Incident Management Task Group,  Regional Reactionary Standby Force, and Search and Rescue assets for possible deployment.