NATIONAL Capital Region Police Office director, Major General Debold M. Sinas on Sunday welcomed the presence of 294 members of the National Standby Support Force of the Philippine National Police sent by General Archie Francisco F. Gamboa to help augment the number of policemen manning Quarantine Control Points in Metro Manila.
The 294 policemen assigned to different units in Camp Crame will be temporarily under the NCRPO Regional Mobile Force Battalion beaded by Colonel Raul M. Tacaca, said the Metro Manila police director.
"The 294 members of the NHQ-NSSF will aid our deployment of personnel from the District Mobile Force Battalion to different QCPs regionwide since our men have been deployed for 48 straight days already and we need to replace them and give them some rest,” said Sinas.
The official said the additional policemen from Camp Crame are all deemed to be in good physical and mental health condition and ready to augment the personnel currently manning their QCPs and strictly enforcing the Enhanced Community Quarantine specifically in going after Unauthorized Persons Outside of Residence.
“As always, we are asking the cooperation of the people of Metro Manila to please stay at home to make our common sacrifices worthwhile,” said Sinas.
The 294 policemen were initially accepted by NCRPO Regional Special Operations Division chief, Colonel Bernard R. Yang, during a turnover ceremony held at the NCRPO grandstand in Camp Bagong Diwa in Bicutan, Taguig City.
Sinas earlier sought the help of Gen. Gamboa in sending them more men to help man QCPs in the metropolis following the extension of the ECQ in Metro Manila until May 15.
The official added he has likewise sought additional troops from the Philippine Army and the elite PNP Special Action Force to help enforce strict quarantine protocols in the metropolis.
Sinas said that crime volume in Metro Manila had gone down by nearly 68 percent from March 15 to April 30 compared to the same period in 2019 amid the deployment of more policemen to man checkpoints and conduct foot and mobile patrols to arrest the presence of criminals taking advantage of the present national crisis.
They include the following: 30 percent reduction in murder cases or from 76 to 53 during the two periods in comparison; 30.3 percent reduction in homicide cases or from 30 to 14; 74.7 percent reduction in cases of physical injury or from 293 to 74; 71.4 reduction in incidents of rape or from 147 to 42; 57.7 percent reduction in incidents of robbery or from 274 to 116; 70.7 percent reduction in incidents of theft or from 594 to 174; 90.9 percent reduction in cases of motor vehicle theft or from 22 to 2 and 80.2 percent reduction in cases of motorcycle theft or from 91 to 18 incidents.
Sinas however said they have recorded an 18,1 percent increase in cases of non-index crimes during the period in review or from 4,731 incidents last year to 5,586 this year as a result of the strict implementation by the NCRPO of city ordinances and ECQ protocols.
They include the increase in the number of persons arrested for violation of curfew hours, drinking in public, not wearing face mask in public and other ECQ rules and regulations.