A TOTAL of 1,800 out of 8,158 examinees or 22.7 percent passed the 2018 Bar examinations with a graduate from Ateneo de Manila University topping the arguably toughest licensure test in the country.
SC Associate Justice Mariano Del Castillo, chairperson of the 2018 examinations, announced the results shortly after the special en banc session.
The 22.7 percentage is lower than the 25.5 percent (1,724 out of 6,748) examinees who passed the 2017 Bar.
With a passing rate of 89.306 percent, Sean James B. Borja notched the highest score among more than 8,000 examinees who took the four-day test at the University of Santo Tomas last November.
Borja was the class valedictorian in Ateneo law school and worked at Gulapa Law as an underbar associate of the firm.
The rest of the Top 10 are:
- Natu-El, Marcley Augustus D. - University of San Carlos, 87.5300%
- Badayos, Mark Lawrence C. - University of San Carlos, 85.8420%
- Fordan, Daniel John A. - Ateneo de Manila University, 85.4430%
- Gaw, Katrina Monica C. - Ateneo de Manila University, 85.4210%
- Tongco, Nadaine P. - University of the Philippines, 85.0320%
- Sevilla, Patricia O. - University of the Philippines, 84.8590%
-Ting, Kathrine T. - De La Salle University – Manila, 84.8570%
- Cane, Jebb Lynus Q. - University of San Carlos, 84.8050%
- Pita, Alen Joel R. - University of San Carlos, 84.6930%
Del Castillo also announced that the oathtaking of the successful Bar examinees will be held on June 13 at 2:00 pm at the Philippine International Convention Center (PICC). Signing of the Rolls of Attorney will start the following day.
Del Castillo also named the Bar examiners attorney Carlo L. Cruz (Political & Public International Law), attorney Hans Leo J. Cacdac (Labor Law & Social Legislation), attorney Ma. Ngina Teresa V. Chan-Gonzaga (Civil Law), attorney Carlos Baniqued (Taxation), Dean Cesar L. Villanueva (Mercantile Law), Retired Court of Appeals Justice Edgardo P. Cruz (Criminal Law), attorney Tranquil G.S. Salvador III (Remedial Law), and attorney Regina P. Geraldez (Legal Ethics & Practical Exercises)..