Biggest transport groups praise Isko for swift aid

Isko Moreno

MANILA Mayor Isko Moreno was lauded by two of the country’s biggest public transport organizations for his quick positive action in sending much-needed help to their members, as they appealed to other local government unit leaders to do the same for them.

Also yesterday, it was learned that more than 39,000 food packs have already been delivered to residences of the most affected sector by City Hall staff and volunteers as supervised by Moreno, Vice Mayor Honey Lacuna and Manila social welfare chief Re Fugoso.

Fugoso meanwhile appealed for understanding and patience among those who have not yet received their food packs, assuring them that everybody will receive his share amid the limited manpower that had  been stretched to the limit.

In a television interview, Obet Martin and Zeny Maranan, presidents of the Pasang Masda ang the Federation of Jeepney Operators and Drivers’Association of the Philippines (FEJODAP) respectively, said they are particularly appreciative of the fact that Moreno met with them much earlier on and promised to help their members amid the suspension of public transportation as a result of the Luzon lockdown and home quarantine orders coming from the national government.

Martin said Moreno had told them that as a former pedicab driver himself, he is well aware that drivers live on a hand-to-mouth existence, so that he had ordered Manila Traffic and Parking Bureau (MTPB) chief Dennis Viaje to mobilize his traffic enforcers and staff for purposes of distribution to the households of the affected drivers.

According to Martin, they were surprised that what was delivered to the homes of the drivers were 25 kilos or one sack of rice each and that this happened just a day or two after they talked.

As of yesterday, Viaje said they were in the process of delivering goods this time,  to pedicab and tricycle drivers.

Meanwhile, it was learned that as of  5 p.m. of March 24, 2020, Manila had an additional 17 new confirmed coronavirus cases so that the total has climbed to 30.

Moreno said this is definitely bad news and reiterated his call for Manilans to stay home and take the advice seriously so as to prevent the virus from further spreading, which he said is the purpose of the home quarantine ordered by no less than President Rodrigo Duterte.#