A member of the Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP), and two others were injured when a fire hit 50 shanties in Mandaluyong City yesterday afternoon.
Superintendent Ruben Ramirez, Mandaluyong City Fire Marshal said Fire Officer 3 Arlan Ambas was rushed to the hospital after he sustained burns in his arms.
The two other injured victims -- one of them a fire volunteer and the other a resident -- were not identified as of presstime.
Ramirez said the blaze started at around 2:25 pm at Blocks 3 and 4, Bgy. Mauway, Mandaluyong City.
The house was reportedly owned by live-in partners Jinky Albacity and Wendell Borromeo.
One of the residents identified as Nilo Alingayao told fire investigators that he saw thick smoke from the second floor of the couple’s house and the fire immediately engulfed the whole house.
The fire spread to adjacent houses in the area.
At least 50 houses made of light materials were razed.
The fireman and volunteer were hurt when hit by falling debris while containing the fire while the resident was hurt while escaping from her burning house.
The fire reached third alarm before it was put out at around 3:45 pm.
Ramirez said electrical wiring possibly triggered the fire after houses at the area were noticed having an “octopus” connection or overloading.
Around P250,000 worth of properties were lost smoke and at least 150 families were affected.