MANILA Mayor Isko Moreno yesterday again appealed to parents, specially of children belonging to the underprivileged sector, to have their kids vaccinated when the city starts its second wave of mass immunization from October 14 to 30.
This, even as Manila Health Department (MHD) head Dr. Arnold Pangan debunked as ‘without basis’ pronouncements reportedly made by the Department of Health (DoH) that 11 percent of mothers in Manila refuse to have their children vaccinated against polio.
Pangan said that even before the reported resurgence of polio cases, Mayor Moreno had already ordered a continuous, stepped-up information campaign via the barangay and city health workers.
According to Pangan, Mayor Moreno has also been relentlessly taking advantage of the mainstream media and the social media to consistently and frequently appeal to all mothers in the city to take advantage of the free vaccinations being offered in barangay health centers.
Moreno said he has assigned more barangay health workers to help disseminate the free vaccinations and why parents must avail of it for their children.
Meanwhile, Pangan questioned the basis of the DoH statement and said that their figures are much too high in comparison to city records. He said the real figures will actually be known after the second wave of the mass immunization activity is over and not before.
Another city health official who asked not to be named said that as it is, the city government is actually having difficulty in doing everything to encourage its residents to have faith in the vaccines being given for free, after the Dengvaxia mess which stemmed from and was handled poorly by national health authorities.
Just the same, the official said, Moreno’s continued appeals and efforts are paying off since only about seven percent of the mothers still fear vaccines because of the national controversy stirred by Dengvaxia and with which the city government had nothing to do in the first place.