Killer mishaps spark gov’t crackdown on druggie drivers

February 19, 2020

A SERIES of tragic road accidents which killed scores of innocent people have triggered a renewed crackdown on drug-using public utility drivers and road unworthy passenger buses and jeepneys, the Journal Group learned yesterday.

In Makati, the local police, joined by agents of the Land Transportation Office,  Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board, the Philippine National Police Highway Patrol Group and the city government have begun inspecting passenger jeepneys to check their road worthiness as well as the drivers’ licenses, registration papers and other violations.

Makati City Police Station chief, Colonel Rogelio Simon said they launched the crackdown hours before the remains of young student Jules Villapando was laid to his final resting place.

The 14-year old Villapando and six other classmates aged 13 to 17  were crossing the pedestrian lane in Barangay Poblacion on Wednesday last week when they were hit by a wayward jeepney whose driver identified as Crizalde Tamparong tested positive for shabu use.

“This is a proactive intervention to prevent a repetition of the deadly incident in Bgy. Poblacion,” said Simon.

As of yesterday, the official said that 7 out of the 58 jeepney drivers they subjected to a drug test were found positive for substance abuse.  He said that drug-using drivers will be arrested and charged for violation of the anti-drunk and drugged driving act.

In Bulacan, Eliazar Lumawag, the driver of a truck that killed a woman and her 3-month old baby and injured at least 12 others in San Jose del Monte City in Bulacan, also tested positive for methampethamine use.