Home>News>Metro>Manila RTC reduces activist’s furlough

Manila RTC reduces activist’s furlough

THE Manila regional trial court yesterday shortened the furlough it previously granted to jailed activist Reina Mae Nasino to enable her attend the wake and burial of her three-month-old daughter.

The Manila RTC Branch 47 reduced Nasino’s three-day furlough after the Manila City Jail Female Dormitory opposed the grant, saying it cannot spare personnel to accompany her to attend her infant daughter’s wake and burial.

In a new order, Branch 47 instead reduced it to just two days, where the first day was Wednesday from 1-4 p.m., and the second day on Friday from 1-4 p.m. during the burial at the Manila North Cemetery.

As of presstime, Nasino was brought by Manila City Jail officials and policemen from the Manila Police District to the child’s wake at a funeral home in Pandacan, Manila.

In opposing Nasino’s three-day furlough, Jail Chief Inspector Maria Ignacia Monteron of the Manila City Jail Female Dormitory said there are currently 665 persons deprived of liberty in their custody, “thus we are depleted of personnel.”

Monteron said they share the sadness of losing Baby River and sympathize with the grieving mother “but we cannot compromise the security and safety of other PDLs who are still seeking our assistance.”

On Monday, the National Union of People’s Lawyers (NUPL) along with the family of Nasino asked anew the Manila RTC for a furlough to enable her to see her dead daughter one last time.

In a very urgent manifestation and motion, the NUPL asked Branch 47 to allow Nasino to attend her daughter’s wake and burial, who died last Friday.

She implores, nay, pleads and begs, this Honorable Court to immediately give her the decent and humane chance to be with her baby daughter, whom she was not able to comfort and hold while in sickbed up to her dying hours, for the last time, and to properly grieve over her tragic and untimely passing,” the motion read.

She prays for true compassion and mercy that any inconsolable mother in deep sorrow needs,” it added.

Last August, the Manila RTC ordered that Nasino and her baby, who was then one-month-old, separated.

The child was turned over to Nasino’s mother. The activist is facing a case for illegal possession of firearms and explosives.

Publication Source :    People's Tonight
Hector Lawas
Court reporter for more than 20 years