Moreno asks LTFRB to suspend franchise of abusive PUJ operators, drivers

July 23, 2019
Isko Moreno
Mayor Isko Moreno and actor Alden Richards pose for posterity during the latter’s visit at the mayor’s office at the Manila City Hall. Photo by Jerry S. Tan

MANILA Mayor Isko Moreno yesterday asked the Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB) to suspend the franchise of jeepney operators whose drivers plying the Baclaran-Divisoria route were cutting their trips.

“Di ko kayo masisisi noon dahil walang kalye. Pero ngayon, bukas na ang Juan Luna, Binondo, Soler, Recto, backbone of our Divisoria roads pero you still continue. Masyado pa rin inaabuso ng mga drivers na ito ang mga mahihirap, lalo na ating mga matatanda. Bayad etneb, biyahe posam. Hindi naman ata makatwiran yun,” Moreno said.

He said they will file a complaint before the LTFRB to suspend the franchise of these jeepney drivers.

Moreno also presented to media two power thieves caught in the act of installing illegal power connections.

Amador Cabauatan, 72, of No. 1008 Juan Luna Street and Christian Garcia, 37, of No. 969 Dagupan Street, were arrested by Maj. Cicero Pura and Capt. Edward Samonte of Special Mayor’s Reaction Team (SMaRT) headed by Major Risalino Ibay, Jr.  

Moreno said the suspects were the so-called “Spidermen” of Divisoria. They were caught installing illegal power connections at the corner of Juan Luna Street and Claro M. Recto Avenue in Tondo, Sunday night.

“Okay lang ako magpailaw sa vendors sa gabi, ‘wag n’yo lang kukunin yung kuryente na ang magbabayad ay taumbayan ng lungsod ng Maynila. Pangalawa, hindi ‘yan ligtas. Ba’t di na lang kayo mag-apply sa Meralco? Kuryente nga ngayon text na lang reload na eh. Kunin niyo na lang serbisyo ng Meralco,” he added.

Meanwhile, matinee idol Alden Richards  led a group of television artists who on a visit to Manila Mayor  Moreno in his office to personally ask his permission to shoot in Divisoria for their upcoming teleserye in GMA network.

Moreno outright approved their request and thanked Richards and his companions in choosing Divisoria for their location shooting.

Richards and his friends told Moreno that they were impressed with the transformation of Divisoria which was previously impassable because of illegal vendors and other obstructions. They added that they are happy to see that major roads in Divisoria are now passable to motorists and pedestrians.

Moreno said the public’s appreciation inspired him to continue cleaning up the city. The shooting for the teleserye will take place today up to February next year.