NATIONAL Capital Region Police Office director, Major General Guillermo Lorenzo T. Eleazar on Monday evening downgraded the Metro Manila police alert status from full to heightened although he said they are not relaxing their guards and are continuing to address all threats posed by criminals and terrorists.
The official placed the NCRPO under full alert status last Friday after suspected suicide bombers struck at a military camp in Indanan, Sulu killing two soldiers and wounding 17 others. The terrorists were also killed in the attack.
Eleazar said the downgrading of alert status was due to the validation and consultation conducted with other law enforcement agencies and military units regarding the threat level within the National Capital Region.
“While the recent Jolo bombing case is being probed, we cannot relax our guard. Thus, all unit and station commanders, are strictly reminded to continue to secure all PNP Headquarters and offices, vital installations, economic key points and places of convergence to guarantee that public safety concerns are checked and thoroughly supervised,” the official said.
Eleazar also underscored that although there are no monitored terrorist threats in the metropolis, they will remain pro-active and dedicated in keeping NCR residents safe 24/7. He also reminded the public to remain alert and vigilant and report any incident or presence of suspicious persons to the nearest police station.
He said that any information could be relayed to the NCRPO text hotlines: Globe: 09158888181 and Smart: 09999018181.
Both the Armed Forces and the Philippine National Police have expressed belief that last Friday’s twin bombings inside a military camp in Indanan, Sulu was the handiwork of local suicide bombers.
PNP chief, Director General Oscar D. Albayalde said that police and military investigators are still determining the real identities of the two men who were believed to have carried out the suicide bombing.
He also said that they are yet to monitor any real terror threat in Metro Manila in the aftermath of last week’s bombing although they are not lowering their guards and have instituted tough security measures that will prevent such possibility.
Other PNP commanders in Luzon and Visayas were given the discretion by Gen. Albayalde to raise their alert status depending on the prevailing peace and order situation in their areas. All other police forces in Mindanao as well as the PNP Special Action Force are already in full alert.
Police and military investigators are suspecting the involvement of suicide bombers in the attack at the military detachment in Sitio Manpower in Barangay Kajatian in Indanan, Sulu 12 noon Friday.
An initial investigation showed that one of the suspects tried to enter the military detachment in the area but was frisked by duty sentries. While being bodily searched, the still unidentified suspect detonated a powerful improvised explosive device he was carrying killing him on the spot as well as Army Privates First Class Dominique Inte, a resident of Upper Sicpao, Sominot, Zamboanga del Sur and Recarte Alban Jr., of Dimataling, Zamboanga del Sur and Corporal Richard Macabadbad, a resident of Payatas, Fairview, Quezon City.
A second suspect also rushed inside the patrol base and detonated another IED killing him and civilians Basar Abdul,32, a ‘sari-sari’ store owner in the area and Dawili Julhumar Alamara, a 29-year old tricycle driver instantly.