QCPD lockdown lifted

NATIONAL Capital Region Police Office director, Major General Debold M. Sinas, yesterday said the 3-day lockdown of the Quezon City Police District headquarters in Camp Karingal has ended with officials learning their lessons well on how to address threats posed by the unseen COVID-19 virus.

The QCPD headquarters was placed under a 3-day lockdown last Friday following findings that 14 of its personnel who were subjected to a COVID-19 test were positive for the virus.

Sinas said an evaluation and analysis of the Camp Karingal situation conducted by the NCRPO Regional Health Service headed by Lieutenant Colonel Beverly de Guzman showed that there really was a form of complacency and familiarity among police personnel  assigned in different offices inside the QCPD headquarters.

“Although the level of awareness is high, police officers are more conscious while dealing with strangers than with their superiors and co-workers. There are also instances where personnel share common areas such as pantry, water dispenser, and comfort rooms,” he said.

During his dialogue with officers and men of the QCPD headed by Brigadier Gen. Ronnie S. Montejo early morning yesterday, Sinas reiterated the recommendations given by the NCRPO-RHS to prevent the spread of the killer virus.

These include the regular disinfection of all offices and common areas; the strict implementation of social distancing; proper food handling practices; sufficient supply of alcohol;and constant wearing of masks inside and outside of offices.

Sinas also ordered the appointment of Safety and Security Officers who will remind the personnel every now and then to adhere to the guidelines.

The NCRPO chief likewise conveyed his gratitude to the Q.C. local government for the assistance they gave to the QCPD personnel and at the same time thanked the QCPD personnel for their cooperation during the lockdown.

"I am glad that none of you violated the rules and regulations during the lockdown. I am hoping that you have now doubled and even tripled your awareness on the guidelines given by the DOH," he said.

The Journal Group earlier reported that the QCPD was placed under a 3-day ‘lockdown’ as part of health protocols triggered by findings that 14 of its personnel are COVID-19 positive.

Montejo, who along with Maj. Gen. Sinas and dozens of other top NCRPO officials, had tested negative for COVID-19, recommended to the Metro Manila police chief the 3-day Camp Karingal lockdown as part of their effort to protect their men and the general public.

During the lockdown, Camp Karingal was closed to all unauthorized persons as entry was restricted to only its men. The entire headquarters was also subjected to decontamination to prevent the further spread of the virus to others.

The decision was reached to address the threat posed by the deadly virus in the QCPD headquarters after the release of the results of a targeted group testing last April 25-29.

During the period, a total of 219 QCPD personnel underwent a nasopharyngeal swab test. To date, the result of the test conducted on 115 personnel have been released while the rest are still pending.

Of the 115 personnel, 14—one of them a member of the Joint Task Force NCR- and the rest all QCPD personnel-were found positive for COVID-19 infection.