14-day quarantine for Pinoys from Hubei — DOJ

January 29, 2020

JUSTICE Undersecretary Markk Perete yesterday said that returning Filipinos from Hubei Province (capital: Wuhan), China will be quarantined for 14 days upon arriving in the country.

Perete, the concurrent Justice Department spokesperson, said a special team of immigration officers will handle formalities for returning overseas Filipinos from Hubei in light of the Wuhan coronavirus that continues to spread throughout Asia and the rest of the world.

“Immigration procedures and formalities for repatriated overseas Filipinos from parts of China will be handled by a special team of immigration officers. The team has undergone briefings conducted by the BoQ and will be provided with the necessary protective gear,” Perete told reporters covering the Justice beat.

According to Perete,  after the immigration formalities the returning Filipinos),  will be quarantined accordingly.”

“A dedicated team of IOs (Immigration officers) will conduct the formalities. I understand they will also be quarantined after,” Perete saidd.

Perete underscored the need to still subject returning Filipinos from Wuhan to immigration processes in a bid to weed out “those who want to exploit the situation.”

“Apart from updating travel records, immigration formalities are essential for our national security. We want to make sure that our security is not compromised by those who seek to gain entry into our territory by exploiting the current situation,” Perete said.

“We need to remember that terrorism, among others, remains as valid a threat as the current medical emergency we are facing,” he added.

The first cases of the coronavirus were detected in Wuhan in mid-December. Since then, the number of confirmed cases has increased exponentially, and infections have been reported worldwide.