1.5M official number of drug users netted in 3 years — PNP

October 30, 2019

POLICE have already accounted for at least 1.5 million drug users as a result of its war on drugs over the past three years of the Duterte administration, Philippine National Police spokesman Brigadier General Bernard M. Banac said yesterday.

“We have accounted for 1.5 million drug users. That’s the official record for the last three years, not seven to eight million,” the PNP spokesperson told an ANC interview.

The 1.5 million drug users were accounted for as a result of the PNP Oplan: Tokhang or “knock and plead” campaign which prompted the drug dependents to yield and take advantage of government reformatory programs.

President Duterte had earlier said there were 7-8 million Filipinos who have been “reduced to slaves” of illegal drugs. However, Banac said that the President has a wide range of sources who gives him all the information he needs.

“We cannot also say that because the President has a wide range of information and unlimited intelligence. When he made that estimate, there is a basis on that,” he said.