3 justices interested in high court top post

August 20, 2019

JUSTICE Secretary Menardo Guevarra yesterday said Supreme Court Associate Justices Estela Perlas-Bernabe, Diosdado M. Peralta, and Andres Reyes Jr. have accepted their automatic nomination to the chief justice post.

“Yes, confirmed,” Guevarra, an ex-officio member of the Judicial and Bar Council, said when asked if the three indeed accepted their nomination.

But Guevarra said SC Associate Justice Alfredo Benjamin Caguioa declined his nomination to the top court seat, which will become vacant when Chief Justice Lucas Bersamin mandatorily retires on October 18.

This brought to three the number of justices who have already declined the coveted post. The other two were Justices Marvic Leonen and Antonio Carpio.

Earlier on Tuesday, Carpio announced that he declined his automatic nomination to the chief justice post.

“Yes, I am declining because there are only 8 days left from the vacancy to my compulsory retirement,” he said in a statement.

Last Monday, Associate Justice Marvic Leonen declined his nomination, saying that it was the “right thing to do for myself, this Court and this country.”

“I confirm that I have declined the nomination of the Court en banc to the position of Chief Justice vice Chief Justice Lucas Bersamin,” Leonen said.

“There is no requirement to state our reasons for declining the nomination. For now, in my considered judgment, my decision is the right thing to do for myself, this Court and this country,” he said.

He pledged his support to whoever will be appointed to replace Bersamin.

“As always, I am committed to giving my support to whoever is constitutionally appointed as the next Chief Justice,” said Leonen.     Hector Lawas