EIGHT more Filipinos were evacuated from Tripoli yesterday.
The Philippine Embassy in Tripoli said “this morning, the Philippine Embassy in Tripoli evacuated eight more Filipinos who decided to accept its offer to bring them home.”
The eight evacuees included Roland Torres, who was wounded in the shelling of a residential area in Tripoli last week.
They were en route to Tunis Thursday morning where they will be boarding their flight to Manila.
The latest evacuees brings to 19 the total number of Filipinos repatriated so far by the Embassy, the Department of Foreign Affairs, and the Department of Labor and Employment since fierce fighting broke out near the capital almost three weeks ago.
On Wednesday, the Department of Foreign Affairs appealed to the families of Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) in Tripoli to convince them to go home after a second Filipino casualty was reported.
The Embassy said a 45-year-old cook from Misamis Occidental was wounded in the foot by shrapnel from a mortar round that struck their housing compound near the Tripoli International Airport. A Sudanese co-worker was killed in the explosion.
Embassy Chargé d’Affaires (CDA) Elmer G. Cato said the wounded Filipino and his six Filipino co-workers have been evacuated from the area, which he said has seen most of the fighting since the latest hostilities in Libya erupted on 4 April 2019.