A NATIONWIDE massive disinfection of all Philippine National Police headquarters, camps and other facilities is in progress as the PNP leadership gears up for the ‘new normal’ while continuing to help fight the spread of the deadly COVID-19 virus among its men, the Journal Group learned yesterday.
PNP chief, General Archie Francisco F. Gamboa, has ordered a Camp Crame-wide disinfection and decontamination and directed all offices and units inside the PNP national headquarters to participate in the program amid the recent directive to ‘lockdown’ the Quezon City Police District and Eastern Police District headquarters after dozens of its men tested positive for COVID-19.
The PNP Headquarters Support Service headed by Brigadier Gen. Alexander J. Sampaga is involved in the program aimed at cleaning all Camp Crame offices prior to the return to work of police uniformed and non-uniformed personnel during the ‘new normal.’
All offices and units in Camp Crame and the 17 other Police Regional Offices, provincial and city offices as well as municipal police stations and precincts were ordered to prepare for the new norm.
Camp Crame offices were also advised to install portable sink or wash basin and foot baths at their entrances so all personnel may wish to wash or disinfect their shoes before going to work.
Gen. Gamboa had said there’s no real need to ‘lockdown’ the PNP national headquarters since they have adequately and effectively addressed the COVID-19 threat in Camp Crame since Day 1 of the Enhanced Community Quarantine.
The PNP chief said they also to it that their temporary quarantine facilities inside the camp would provide big relief and satisfaction to police personnel who have to undergo a mandatory 14-day quarantine after contracting the virus.
PNP Health Service director, Brig. Gen. Herminio S. Tadeo Jr., said they have maintained a high COVID-19 recovery rate among police front-liners.
However, he said last Sunday that the number of PNP personnel who have contracted COVID-19 rose to 231 after 17 more policemen were added to the list.
According to Tadeo, the 17 are all assigned in Metro Manila, the youngest of them a 25-year-old female from Manila and the eldest, a 54-year-old male from Rizal.
Of the 17, a total of 14 are males while three are females: the 25-year-old from Manila; a 33-year-old from Quezon City; and a 33-year-old from Manila.
Tadeo said since last March 17, a total of 67 police personnel who contracted the virus have already recovered from the disease which so far has killed four members of the police force.
The official said as of yesterday, 116 PNP patients remained in quarantine facilities being run by the police force; 35 are undergoing home quarantine and seven have been admitted to hospitals for further treatment.
Tadeo said they are also monitoring the condition of 687 police personnel who were listed as Probable Persons Under Investigation (Probable PUIs) and 536 police personnel considered as Suspected Persons Under Investigation (Suspected PUIs).
Another 1,728 PNP personnel composed of 841 Probable PUIs, 871 Suspected PUIs and 16 Confirmed have completed self/home quarantine and are presently being monitored by police doctors, he added.
Tadeo said the Camp Crame COVID-19 Patient Care Center in Kiangan Hall has nine PNP personnel undergoing self-quarantine after being listed as PUIs while the PNP Transformation Oval quarantine facility has already accepted 21 patients.
The Taekwondo quarters inside the PNP Gymnasium has admitted 16 personnel while 12 civilians are now undergoing quarantine at the PNP-supervised Philippine International Convention Center quarantine facility.