More and more freed heinous crime convicts heed Duterte warning to surrender or be hunted as fugitives
TWENTY-SIX convicts who gained freedom under the Good Conduct Time Allowance law surrendered to Cagayan Valley policemen on Thursday heeding President Duterte’s order to yield peacefully within 15 days or be hunted, Police Regional Office 2 director Brigadier General Jose Mario M. Espino told the Journal Group yesterday.
Espino said that out of the 57 residents of Cagayan Valley who were released by the Bureau of Corrections after taking advantage of the GCTA law, 17 in Cagayan province, four in Isabela and 3 in Nueva Vizcaya have already surrendered to the local police as of press time yesterday.
In a report to Philippine National Police chief General Oscar D. Albayalde, the official identified some of those who surrendered as: Nestor dela Cruz, a murder convict freed from the Sablayan Prison and Penal Farm in Occidental Mindoro last February 11 who yielded to the Sanchez Mira Municipal Police Station in Cagayan; and Franklin Agacer, a murder convict freed from the National Bilibid Prisons on September 14, 2015, who gave himself up to the Sta. Ana police.
Consolacion Belen, a murder convict freed by NBP authorities on October 30, 2017, surrendered to the Sta. Ana police; Mario Umuquit, murder convict freed by the NBP on November 9, 2018, surrendered to the Buguey police force; Tacio Acorda, a robbery with rape convict freed from the NBP last May 28, turned himself over to the Solana police station.
Roberto Balacanao, robbery with rape convict freed by the NBP last April 18, surrendered to the Amulung police force; Jose Dumlao, a murder convict freed by the NBP on September 21, 2018, surrendered to the Amulung police; Eriberto Batuelo, a murder and robbery convict freed by NBP authorities last May 28, yielded to the Amulung police.
Joseph Guzman, a rape convict released by the NBP on August 2, 2018, yielded to the Tuao police station; Vickmar Lucena, convicted for attempted rape with homicide but freed by NBP authorities on September 17 last year, surrendered to the Tuao police; and Gil Ramirez, a convicted rapist freed by the NBP on March 3, 2018, yielded to the Tuguegarao City Police Station.
Espino said that they are still accounting for the other convicted Cagayan Valley residents who were released by the BuCor by virtue of the GCTA law.
He said that the BuCor list of freed convicts living in Cagayan Valley is composed of 29 from Cagayan province, 21 from Isabela, 4 from Quirino province and 3 from Nueva Vizcaya.
“We are asking those who are yet to surrender to immediately heed the President’s order and go to the nearest police station so that they can be accounted for,” said Espino. He added that local police stations have been furnished a list of convicted prisoners freed through GCTA and their complete addresses in the region as part of their ongoing operation to account for the convicts.
The 15 freed convicts who surrendered to the Cagayan Valley so far composed the biggest number of convicted criminals who yielded to a particular police unit in the aftermath of President Duterte’s directive.
Late night Wednesday, a 50-year old man convicted for eight counts of murder but was freed after availing himself of the GTCA surrendered to Cebu policemen, barely hours after President Duterte ordered all heinous crime convicts but were set free due to GCTA to yield peacefully within 15 days or be hunted by the police.
Jesus Ranoco Negro Jr., a resident of Barangay Dakit, Bogo City turned himself over to the Bogo City Police Station in Cebu and is now under the custody of the local police, said a report to PRO7 director Brigadier General Debold M. Sinas
Cebu Police Provincial Office director Colonel Rhoderick Mariano said that a record check showed that Negro served 30 years at the National Bilibid Prisions after being convicted of eight counts of murder and frustrated murder charges.
However, he was released by the BuCor on August 9, 2018 on the strength of the GCTA.
“He appeared and voluntarily surrendered to this station after President Duterte ordered heinous crime convicts who were freed under a law that reduces an inmate’s sentence due to good conduct to surrender to nearest authorities,” said Bogo police chief, Lieutenant Col. Emelie Santos.
The ex-convict said he surrendered because he was afraid he might get killed if he would not heed the President’s order.
Also last Thursday, Nicanor Naz, a convicted drug personality who was released from the Davao Prison and Penal Farm in Davao del Norte where he served 27 years inside the NBP yielded to the Pasay City police. National Capital Region Police Office director, Major General Guillermo Lorenzo T. Eleazar said that Naz was sentenced to life imprisonment for violation of Republic Act 6425 or the old Dangerous Drugs Act of 1972 on June 3, 1993.
In Camp Crame, Philippine National Police chief General Oscar D. Albayalde
directed all police units nationwide to immediately receive and account for about 1,700 national prisoners released thru GCTA who will heed the order of the President and surrender within the given 15-day grace period.
The PNP chief also said they would not hesitate obeying President Duterte’s “shoot-to-kill” order against the freed convicts who would resist being rearrested.
“Of course, if they will resist arrest, if they will put up a fight, we cannot do anything but retaliate,” he said.