BuCor chief tells Senate he won’t resign

September 02, 2019
Nicanor Faeldon
Nicanor Faeldon

BUREAU of Corrections (BuCor) director Nicanor Faeldon yesterday said he would not resign and let President Rodrigo Duterte who appointed him decide if he should leave his post.

Despite “prior commitments” Faeldon appeared at yesterday’s Senate hearing on the controversy stirred by the possible release of convicted rapist-murderer Antonio Sanchez through Good Conduct Time Allowance (GCTA).

The BuCor chief was asked by Senator Risa Hontiveros if he would resign in light of the issue on the controversial implementation of the GCTA law.

“Sa ganitong kaliwa’t kanan na kapalpakan, pagkukulang tungkol sa GCTA, mga importante pero simpleng tanong na mahirap sagutin dito sa komite na dapat alam na alam n’yo agad, kelan po kayo magre-resign sa inyong puwesto bilang BuCor head, Usec?” Hontiveros pointedly asked Faeldon.

Faeldon said he would leave the matter to the appointing power, meaning President Duterte.

When Hontiveros repeated her question the prisons official answered:  “I believe no, ma’am.”

Faeldon had been in conflict before with the Senate during an investigation when he was the Bureau of Customs chief and was held in contempt for refusing to honor subpoenas to the probe.

At yesterday’s hearing Faeldon also confirmed the release of 3 men convicted for the 1997 murder of the Chiong sisters in Cebu.

Sen. Panfilo Lacson asked Faeldon if he signed release orders for convicts Josman Aznar, Ariel Balansag, and Alberto Caño.

Faeldon answered he could not remember ordering the release of the three convicts.

Lacson showed Faeldon a copy of release orders signed for him by BuCor official Maria Fe Marquez.

“Have they been released?” Lacson asked.

“Yes, your honor,” Faeldon replied.