A FOURTH batch of surrenderers composed of 27 inmates were recommended for release by the joint Justice and Interior and Local Government task force.
If approved, this will bring to 114 the number of surrenderers for release, according to Justice Undersecretary Markk Perete.
Last Saturday, the DoJ announced the release of 52 convicts who recently surrendered even if they were not the object of the police manhunt.
Perete said the convicts were released Friday, the first of several batches to be freed by the Bureau of Corrections.
“BuCor (Bureau of Corrections) has confirmed the release of the first two batches of 52 PDL (persons deprived of liberty)-surrenderers yesterday (Friday). Those residing in Metro Manila were immediately released while transportation for those from the provinces is being arranged,” Perete said in a statement.
According to Perete, those released included non-heinous crime offenders, or previously released based on court orders like acquittal, commutation of sentence, pardon, and parole.
They were given certificates as proof of release but these could not be made public, Perete said.
“Unfortunately, we cannot make those certificates publicly available. But they should at the very least contain the following info: date of and ground/basis for previous release; date of surrender; re-evaluation finding; and basis (acquittal, grant of parole, etc) for re-release,” he said.
The issue on good conduct time allowance started after former Calauan mayor Antonio Sanchez was reported set to be released last month.