CANADA has tapped a shipping company that would retrieve the illegally exported trash “sooner than later,” Malacañang said yesterday.
Presidential Spokesperson Salvador Panelo issued the remark, citing information from the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA).
“The DFA issued a statement that the Canadian government has already directed a shipping company to get the trash back. And according to them, it will be sooner than later,” Panelo said, adding that he has no information on the shipping date.
Foreign Secretary Teodoro Locsin Jr. last week ordered the recall of the Philippine ambassador and consuls to Canada following Ottawa’s failure to meet President Rodrigo Duterte’s May 15 deadline to ship out the 69 container vans of garbage that arrived in the country in 2013 and 2014.
Panelo said the recall was a warning that Manila is ready to cut ties with Ottawa over the garbage issue.