COVID-19 infects cop for 2nd time

A 50-YEAR-OLD male official of the Philippine National Police (PNP) in Ilocos Sur tested positive for coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) for the second time after recovering from the virus three months ago.

Five other  policemen are now under quarantine.

In a statement, Governor Ryan Luis Singson confirmed on Sunday that the PNP official is the sixth positive case of COVID-19 in the province, now referred to as IS-C6.

Singson said the  patient travelled to the National Capital Region on official business from July 6 to 9, 2020.

“Upon arrival in the province on July 10, he was immediately quarantined at Camp President Elpidio R. Quirino in Barangay Bulag in Bantay town together with five other uniformed personnel who traveled with him,” Singson bared.

He added that the patient is asymptomatic and is currently isolated at the Ilocos Sur Provincial Hospital-Gabriela Silang (ISPH-GS) here.

“The identified close contacts have been swabbed, awaiting results and kept in isolation. The Provincial Epidemiologic Surveillance Team will continue the conduct of contact tracing,” the governor said.

Last Saturday, a COVID-19 positive case was also recorded in San Ildefonso town.

The patient has no travel history but he works as a security guard of a national agency in the municipality of Bantay.

IS-C5 is stable, with very mild symptoms, and is isolated at ISPH-GS.

In a press conference earlier, Singson, along with Provincial Health Officer Carmeliza Singson and ISPH-GS Chief Trina Tabboga-Talaga, provided updates and additional information on the two new COVID-19 cases in the province.

The governor said the provincial government of Ilocos Sur, through the Provincial Health Office, will be conducting random swab testing to vulnerable individuals especially workers on the front line.

Further, he appealed for everyone’s cooperation and reiterated the importance of following the guidelines on social distancing, frequent hand washing and wearing of face masks in public.