AGRICULTURE Undersecretary for Special Concerns Waldo Carpio yesterday strongly denied the allegations of ten contractual employees of the department who claimed that their dismissal from the service was abrupt and arbitrary.
In a statement, Carpio stressed that the dismissal of the complaining employees was legal, just and in compliance with existing laws and regulations.
The complaining employees who were assigned at the DA Farm-to-Market Road Development Program filed their complaint with the Office of the President alleging that aside from the abrupt dismissal, Carpio committed grave abuse of authority by illegally transferring contractuals from other sections to replace them.
Carpio, who lamented that the issue was reported in many news organizations without getting his side, claimed that contrary to their claim of arbitrary and immediate dismissal, all of the complainants were notified of their termination 15 days prior to its effectivity in strict compliance with the terms and conditions of their contract.
He further explained that as Contract of Service Employees, their service is governed by the CSC-COA-DBM Joint Circular No. 1, S. 2017 and 2018 and their service is governed by the terms and conditions provided for in their contracts and not the Labor Code.
“They have no security of tenure and that there is no employer-employee relationship between the complainants and the Department,” Carpio said.
Carpio added that documents showed that, while their contracts are valid up to Dec. 31, 2019, the said contracts can, however, be pre-terminated by either party, the complainants or the DA by giving notice in writing, 15 days prior to termination. This is found in item 9 of their contracts.
“Further, upon verification, the alleged non-payment of salary was due to pending compliance of clearance by the complainants to the General Services Division of the Department. In fact, as far as the Undersecretary for Special Concerns is concerned, the complainants have already been cleared,” Carpio added.
He stressed that he did not commit any abuse of authority despite the claims of the complainants.
“As previously stated, the service of contract of service personnel is governed by the terms and conditions provided for in their contracts. The documents will show and belie any claim of misconduct on the part of the good Undersecretary,” Carpio added in his statement.
“The Undersecretary denounces this malicious publication and grossly irresponsible journalism committed by some of the members of the press. The failure of some of the press to conduct due diligence in verifying the allegations reek malice and intent, thus, besmirched the good reputation of the good Undersecretary,” the statement further stated.
Carpio said that he is studying any possible legal actions that he may avail of against these “malicious” allegations against him.