Department of Foreign Affairs monitoring worst Ebola outbreak in Congo

January 04, 2019

THE Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) is closely monitoring the situation in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DR Congo) as the number of fatalities in the second worst outbreak of Ebola in history has climbed to 360.

The Philippine Embassy in Nairobi, which has jurisdiction over the DR Congo, has informed the Home Office that so far, it has received no reports of any Filipino getting infected by the disease.

Chargé d’Affaires Francis Maynard Maleon said the Embassy is in touch with the approximately 142 members of the Filipino Community in the DR Congo.

Maleon said the outbreak, which was first reported in August, has spread to the eastern city of Butembo, a key trading and transport hub, with more than 600 cases reported.

He said the World Health Organization (WHO) is working closely with government health officials to contain the outbreak.

Maleon said Filipinos in DR Congo who may find themselves in emergency situations that would require the Embassy’s assistance may call (+254) 739310048.