DNA extracted from ‘suicide bomber’ -- Albayalde

September 14, 2019

POLICE forensic experts have already extracted DNA samples from the female “suicide bomber” who was killed while trying to hit an Army facility in Indanan, Sulu late afternoon Sunday, Philippine National Police chief General Oscar D. Albayalde said.

However, Albayalde said the DNA examination will have to wait since they still have to find someone who will submit his/her DNA sample to cross-match with that of the bomber.

The PNP chief said  last Sunday’s attack in Indanan has prompted stepped up security measures in all police camps and other facilities in Mindanao and the rest of the country.

“We’re asking the vigilance of all here, the public included. Let’s watch out for suspicious personalities and report them to the nearest police or military station,” he said.

Albayalde did not comment on the number of possible other “suicide bombers” in Mindanao but admitted  these terrorists are getting the help of ISIS supporters in Sulu and Basilan, specifically the Abu Sayyaf Group.

The female suicide bomber was killed in a foiled attempt to inflict major casualties inside an Army facility in Indanan, Sulu late afternoon Sunday, police and military officials said.

The incident also triggered stepped up security by all PNP and Armed Forces units nationwide.

PNP spokesman Brigadier General Bernard M. Banac called on the public to maintain their vigilance and “don’t panic” as all measures are being undertaken by security forces to thwart any terror attempt in the country.

Banac stressed  that martial law in Mindanao has effectively prevented the proliferation of loose firearms and terror plots.

“It is very possible that terrorists could have carried out more sinister plots if there is no martial law in Mindanao,” Banac said.

A report from the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao Police Regional Office said  the “person-borne IED explosion” took place outside the gate of the Alpha Company of the Army’s 35th Infantry Battalion located in Kilometer 3, Kjatian, Indanan town around 5:45 p.m. Sunday.

Citing a report from the Indanan municipal police, ARMM police director Brig. Gen.  Marni C. Marcos Jr. said  the suspect, who was wearing a black hijab or an “abaya,” a head covering worn in public by some Muslim women,  was spotted by Army Corporal Asmada Sabdani walking  while about to enter the Army headquarters’ main entrance.

The soldier took cover and warned the suspect from entering the camp without being inspected.

However, the suspect immediately detonated an IED killing her on the spot.

Badly-mutilated parts of the “suicide bomber,”  were found strewn in different parts of the camp’s gate.

“No casualty was reported on the part of the military and other people in the area and post-blast investigation and processing of the crime scene is still ongoing,” Marcos said.

Banac said  there is still an ongoing investigation into the “real gender” of the slain suspect.

Armed Forces Western Mindanao Command chief, Lieutenant General Cirilito Sobejana said that the slain suspect was “foreign looking with long hair based on the recovered mutilated head.”

However, he said  the recovered dismembered hand is similar to that of a man.

As of press time, investigators are still determining the identity of the slain suspect.