Duque on home quarantine

Francisco Duque III

Health Secretary Francisco Duque III is under home quarantine while waiting for the results of his coronavirus disease test.

Department of Health spokesperson Ma. Rosario Vergeire confirmed this in a text message to reporters on Thursday.

“Yes Sec. Duque is on home quarantine,” Vergeire said, stressing that the country’s health chief is currently not exhibiting red-flag symptoms of COVID-19 infection.

“He has already been tested for COVID-19 as he is Asthmatic and Hypertensive. He is now doing work from home,” Vergeire added.

Duque was not present during the press briefing of the Inter-agency Task Force on Emerging Infectious Diseases late Wednesday.

Earlier, the DOH confirmed that one of its directors tested positive for COVID-19. “Offices have been disinfected and close contacts informed so that they can immediately undergo home quarantine and strict monitoring,” the DOH said Tuesday.

The Philippines now has 202 COVID-19 cases, with 17 deaths and seven recoveries.

Worldwide, the disease has killed more than 8,800 people, mostly in China, since the outbreak began in Wuhan City in December last year. Over 218,000 people have been infected, according to the Johns Hopkins University’s COVID-19 global tracker.

The World Health Organization said the most commonly reported symptoms are fever, dry cough and shortness of breath. The WHO said eight in ten, or around 80 percent, of infected patients experience “mild illness” and eventually recover from COVID-19. Some 14 percent experience severe illness while 5 percent were critically ill, the WHO said.

To prevent infection, authorities are urging people to practice regular hand washing, cover their mouth and nose when coughing and sneezing, and avoid close contact with those who exhibit virus symptoms.

CNN Philippines’ Carolyn Bonquin contributed Metro Manila (CNN Philippines, March 19) – Health Secretary Francisco Duque III is under home quarantine while waiting for the results of his coronavirus disease test.

Department of Health spokesperson Ma. Rosario Vergeire confirmed this in a text message to reporters on Thursday.

“Yes Sec. Duque is on home quarantine,” Vergeire said, stressing that the country’s health chief is currently not exhibiting red-flag symptoms of COVID-19 infection.

“He has already been tested for COVID-19 as he is Asthmatic and Hypertensive. He is now doing work from home,” Vergeire added.

Duque was not present during the press briefing of the Inter-agency Task Force on Emerging Infectious Diseases late Wednesday.

Earlier, the DOH confirmed that one of its directors tested positive for COVID-19. .