Duterte's P1M reward offer

September 18, 2019
Rodrigo R. Duterte

PRESIDENT Rodrigo Duterte’s offer of a P1-million reward for the capture of each of the freed convicts who failed to surrender before September 19 stands.

Duterte however told reporters he prefers the convicts brought in dead.

“Basta ako sinabi ko, I will just set the timeline and then the P1 million prize is available to those who can capture them dead or alive, but may be dead would be a better option,” Duterte said after the swearing in of new appointees in Malacañang.

Duterte earlier ordered some 2,000 heinous crime convicts that were freed under the good conduct time allowance (GCTA) law to turn themselves in before the given deadline.

The Philippine National Police said fewer than 600 convicts have turned themselves to authorities so far, a few days before the 15-day grace period lapses.

The President reiterated that he is against granting of GCTA to those who were convicted of heinous and recidivists.

“Ang totoo talaga niyan ‘yang heinous crime, pati one other — wala sa enumeration. Recidivist, pati a guy who would go in and out repeatedly. Well, actually it’s under the broad term recidivist. Kaya ‘yang nasasabit diyan ngayon because there is a variance in the law,” Duterte said.

Lawmakers and authors of the law have argued that heinous-crime convicts are excluded from the GCTA coverage, after a former prisons bureau chief said these convicts are included in the coverage.