THE Philippine National Police and the Armed Forces yesterday officialy announced that a DNA test confirmed that one of the two suicide bombers that assaulted a military camp in Indanan, Sulu last June 28 was a Filipino.
“After a thorough investigation and forensic examination, the Regional Crime Laboratory Office of the Police Regional Office 11 has revealed that one of the suspected suicide bombers in 1st Brigade Combat Team temporary headquarters in Indanan, Sulu last June 28 can be concluded as a Filipino,” PNP spokesman Colonel Bernard M. Banac and his AFP counterpart Brigadier General Edgard Arevalo said in a joint press statement.
The statement said that the PNP Regional Crime Laboratory Office 11 in Southern Mindanao confirmed that “reference DNA standards were taken from Vilman Alam Lasuca and Alhussin Alam Lasuca, claimant mother and brother of one of the suspected bombers.”
“Moreover, the DNA results examined by RCLO 11 Forensic DNA Analyst, Police Major Florepes Pallado concluded that there is 99.99 percentage probability match on the DNA sample taken from Vilman Lasuca and samples of the alleged suicide bomber.
“Hence, it can be concluded that one of the alleged suicide bombers is the son of Vilman Alam Lasuca,” RCLO 11 said in a laboratory report,” the statement added.
The identification of the second suspected bomber is still underway as the AFP and PNP continue to collect DNA samples from possible known family and relatives and to establish a match in its identity, said Banac.
The findings made by the world-class DNA Section of the PNP Crime Laboratory proved that the slain terrorist is indeed Norman Lasuca, which makes him the first known Filipino suicide bomber in the country.
Vilman Alam Lasuca earlier claimed that one of the two suicide bombers was her 23-year-old son.
According to PNP chief Director General Oscar D. Albayalde, they need to look at the background of the slain suspects including Lasuca as part of their investigation into how they were trained in carrying out a suicide attack.
Gen. Albayalde also said that they are yet to monitor any real terror threat in Metro Manila in the aftermath of last week’s bombing although they are not lowering their guard.