Garbage from South Korea to be sent back next week

January 03, 2019

THE controversial 6,500 tons of garbage that has been stranded in the Mindanao  port will be shipped back to South Korea on January 9.

The Philippines and South Korea have reached an agreement to ensure the repatriation of mixed wastes to Pyeongtaek City that arrived at the Mindanao International Container Terminal in Misamis Oriental in July last year.

“We expect the 51 garbage-filled containers stored at MICT to be homebound by January 9 provided that all regulatory requirements are readily available. Their expedited re-export is what BoC wants and this is what our people are yearning for,” said John Simon, Port Collector at the Mindanao International Container Terminal (MICT).

Simon said the re-exportation of the 51 containers to South Korea is due to the failure of the consignee, Verde Soko Philippines Industrial Corp., to secure prior import permit from the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) and for its misdeclaration of the garbage shipments as “plastic synthetic flakes.”

Meanwhile, EcoWaste Coalition national coordinator Aileen Lucero pointed out that the government must adopt stringent policies to prevent a repeat of this incident.